Ingredients for 4-6 servings:
1/2 C broken dried porcini mushrooms (about 3/4 ounce)
2 C boiling water
2 large onions, mined (about 3 cups)
2 T vegetable oil, olive oil, or butter
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 C chopped fresh mushrooms
1 t fresh thyme (1/2 t dried)
1 1/2 T fresh sage (2 t dried)
dash of nutmeg
1/4 C Marsala or dry sherry
1 T soy sauce
1 C unsweetened apple juice and 1 C water, or 2 C vegetable stock
4 C pureed cooked pumpkin
salt and ground pepper to taste
1 C milk or half-and-half (optional)
- Break up any large pieces of porcini. Pour the boiling water over the porcini and set aside to soak.
- In a soup pot on medium heat, saute onions in the oil until softened.
- Add garlic, fresh mushrooms, thyme, sage, and saute until mushrooms are soft.
- Then add nutmeg, Marsala, and soy sauce, apple juice, water or stock and heat almost to a boil.
- Stir in the pumpkin.
- Remove the pumpkin from the soaking water with slotted spoon and add them to the soup. Pour the soaking water through a coffee filter or paper towel to remove any grit, then add to the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and the milk/cream if you like.