Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I am very excited to have delicata squash in our share this week. After washing, I'll slice them in half, remove the seeds and place them in water to bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes or so. Then I'll take them out, discard the water, turn them over, toss a few dried cranberries and dash of maple syrup in and return them to the oven to bake for another 20 minutes or so. Mmmmmm.

My plan for the peppers is to roast them. I'll wash them then slice in strips, toss with a little olive oil and kosher salt before spreading them on a cookie sheet to roast. I will freeze them away to enjoy later.

The future for my eggplant is as cracker. After washing, I'll slice my eggplant thinly (without peeling), pat it dry on clean towel and then dip in a mixture of seeds and spices. I will then lay them out on a cookie sheet and bake them at 300 to allow them to dry out. These are then crunchy little treats either on their own or topped with a grilled pepper that didn't make it into the freezer yet (see above) and/or some hummus.

The onions will be put to good use in the coming weeks to start soups or stir fry.

The sweet potato will be put to use right away as part of my dinner - I'll wash it, poke a few holes and cook it in the microwave as a 'potato'. If there is a spare - my pet cockatiel is happy to have a fresh slice to nibble.

Enjoy!!

No comments: