Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Whats in our box this week and how I'm planning on using it.

I'm having a big sheva brachot party this friday night for friends that just got married which means I'm either going to have to supplement my box, or be creative about how to stretch what's in there to serve 20+ people. Here's what I have in mind so far. The cucumbers, lettuce and broccoli should become a nice green salad with a simple vinaigrette. But thats a no brainer, so we're left with kale, which I've had a bit of already in the past few weeks (though check out my video below for an idea), so thats going right in the freezer, and zucchini and basil. The succhini will be diced and added for colour and flavour to some rice. If you can find it (Treasure Island and whole foods usually stock it), get some forbidden black rice. It has a more complex flavour and is definitely more dramatic. The basil will likely get chopped and sprinkled over fresh strawberries. Thats right, strawberries. I make a glaze with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar (whisk a fair amount into the vinegar until it's syrupy), drizzle that over some strawberries and then finish it it a sprinkling of basil. Very different and very delicious.

What are YOU going to do with your box? let us know in the comments section.

No comments: