Thursday, August 6, 2009

Game Plan for Week 10

I am headed out of town tonight, and I have been giving a lot of thought to making sure that all of those amazing fruits and vegetables get used or preserved, and not wasted!
My kids were amazed to see that huge melon this morning, and we cut right into it for breakfast. I don't think it will last too long!
As much as I would love to just steam those ears of corn and eat them right off the cob, I don't want to leave them until next week when I'm back, so I'm going to cut the kernels off the cob and freeze them. Then I can throw them into polenta, corn and bean salads, chili, soup, etc.
I had a delicious sandwich this week that uses two things from Vicki, the arugula and the peppers. Roast the peppers (on a grill, under the broiler, or over the flame on your stove) and remove the skin and seeds. On a baguette or other crusty bread, layer the peppers, arugula and goat cheese (Trader Joe's has a delicious herbed goat cheese that is OU certified). Simple and easy. I also roasted and sliced some marinated portabello mushrooms and put those on too - it was a big hit with the friends I served it to.
I think the cauliflower and onion will be just fine until I get back on Sunday... what will you be doing with your box?

No comments: