Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My plan for this week's box includes soup - which is what the weather calls for. Since we will have beets, I will take full advantage and make curried vegetable beet soup. I'll saute an onion, some garlic, and sliced carrots and beets. I will peel and grate the turnip and add it into the mix. I will season it with about a tablespoon of coriander, a tsp of cumin, and a dash of cayenne pepper. After these have simmered for a bit, I'll add about 6 cups of vegetable stock and let it come to a boil. I'll turn it down and let everything cook for about 20 minutes and then I'll add a handful of pearl barely. Once these are cooked, I'm in business.

I will take the cabbage and use half for cole slaw. I will use the other half and make a stir fry with an onion, garlic, sliced mushrooms, and cabbage. I will serve this over rice with some fish.

Lastly - I hope that I get another kuri squash. It tastes like chestnut to me. I will wash it, slash it in a couple of places vertically and then bake it at 350 for about an hour. I'll let it cool so I can handle it. I'll cut it in half and scoop out the seeds and such. I will then cut 1/2 inch slices and lay these on a greased cookie sheet. I'll spay it with olive oil and sprinkle with salt before tossing it under the broiler for a couple of minutes. I will then turn them and spray with a bit more oil and cook the other side. Oh dear - so good!

No comments: